Re: .htaccess in apache 1.3.22

On Fri, 2002-01-25 at 23:50, charles@lunarmedia.net wrote:
> i'm using apache 1.3.22 and finding that my .htaccess files are being
> ignored by the webserver. to sum it up, i'm never being prompted for a
> username/password combination when entering a directory where they are
> present. mod_access seems to be called by the .conf file:
>
> LoadModule access_module      modules/mod_access.so
> AddModule mod_access.c
>
> and further down in the config, i have:
>
> AccessFileName .htaccess
>
> <Files .htaccess>
>   order allow,deny
>   deny from all
> </Files>
>
> can anyone think of anything offhand that may need to be reconfigured?

You've probably got the preformance-enhancing
	<Directory />
		AllowOverride none
	</Directory>
in your httpd.conf, but don't have a
	<Directory /path/to/new/protected/dir>
		AllowOverride AuthConfig
	</Directory>
to offset the global setting.  AllowOverride is usually set to none for
'/' so that apache doesn't have to look in every directory for a
.htaccess file - it just looks in the ones below the highest-level
directory with a non-"none" setting.

--Danny