Re: Wake on LAN HOWTO?

Erich,

Glad you got the IBM's to work.  I have never tried this with Dell
machines.  I guess all I can say is "Dude, You're getting a Dell!"

The power supply has to hold minimal power to the Mainboard in order to
keep the NIC powered up while the machine is powered down.  Maybe look
at your hub or switch and make sure the NIC is active when the machine
is shut off.  I'm not really an expert on mainboards, but maybe the
Mainboard only powers up one of the PCI slots when the machine is
powered down, and maybe the NIC has to be in that slot??  I have heard
of motherboards which use the PCI slot itself to control the WOL instead
of relying on the WOL cable to the motherboard.  The mainboard manual
should tell whether or not that is the case.  Or maybe the power supply
isn't supplying the power needed to hold the NIC up when the machine is
powered down?  If you NIC is active on the hub, then maybe try a bios
flash...  Just throwing out wild ideas now.

Let me know WHEN you get it, and how you solved it!  I once had the
opposite problem...  For some reason whenever I powered an enet switch
down, and powered it back up, it was waking once of the machines on the
network without even sending the "Magic Packet"...  I am not sure what
was going on in that case.

Good Luck!  Catch you later!

Ricky Bryce