Various Topics

Ok, like I said in my subject this is on various
topics (because I'm currently using staroffice to
compose this and multiple messages are a pain).

1) Associations

At Ursuline Academy (my h.s.), I am known to spend a
good portion of my time on computers. I don't make it
a secret that I despise Windows systems and since we
have recently instituted a laptop program for the
freshman and anyone who wants to buy one (for $1950
the machine they give you is a rip-off and even for
windows it's outdated (win98)). They have had several
security violations mostly due to their sloppy netware
setup and lax security with their "firewall". I have
been blamed for no fewer than 4 attacks on the school
network by our "computer" teacher (in reality she
plays tech support and is a typing instructor) and
I've been labled a "security threat" and "hacker"
(their terms, not mine although from informed people
I'd be flattered at being called a hacker).

I've talked with the principal about my ban from the
computer network and his answer is to just leave
people be and tell them that I cannot help them. It's
almost painful to do this as the computer teacher's
way of fixing any problem is wipe the hard-disk and
have the Computer Group reinstall everything from
cd-rom which costs the student $60. I can't figure out
what to do because most of the problems are simple
things like the MBR being deleted that I can fix in no
fewer than 4 seconds after booting into a rescue
floppy.

Any help would be appreciated.

2) An all *nix LAN that's not connected to the net.

Just a couple questions here. Do I need to run a
simple DNS server (bind) on a machine so the LAN will
work? Is the Cisco Aironet 350 wireless-NIC for
laptops supported under any *nix (at this point I'd
take a working hurd implentation)?

3) Do any of you know of computer-related (perhaps
even Linux or unix-related) jobs that would be
available to a 15/16 year old person with some
scripting skills (python, shell(sh and csh), perl,
php, and a little tcl and elisp), basic understanding
of C/C++ (I can read but my writting is poor), decent
network adminitstration (with some docs I can setup
pretty much any server in a unix enviroment), and an
aptitude for accomplishing pretty much anything
(although generally in an unconvential manner). I
don't really need the money (it's just a nice bonus)
but I really need the experience.

4) Video Cards

Anyone have a recommendation or two for a new video
card? I have about $200 to spend on one but I'd really
like it to be supported by X so I can have fun with my
shiny new copy of Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Thanks for your help and I'll try to make it to start
attending meetings again.

Brandon Joseph Adams