php in apache and another question solved.

well, i found out my issue with 'configtest' breaking on the SSLEngine
line. it appears that without DSO support, the config does not need to
have its secure virtual hosts enclosed in <IfDefine SSL>, however with the
dyanmic object support, each <VirtualHost foo:443></VirtualHost> container
needs to be surrounded by <IfDefine SSL></IfDefine>. so once again,
apachectl configtest yields honest results.

now, however, i am struggling with php. i've compiled apache as i said
before. i was hoping to use the php rpms that are supplied by redhat. i
added a symlink within the apache /libexec/ directory to the libphp4.so
file. when i add the following in my .conf file:

  LoadModule php4_module        libexec/libphp4.so
  AddModule mod_php4.c

running apachectl configtest shows that all syntax is good and stopping
and starting the server itself shows that php seems to be running.

[Sat Mar 30 09:50:23 2002] [notice] Apache/1.3.22 (Unix) PHP/4.0.6
FrontPage/5.0.2.2510 mod_ssl/2.8.5 OpenSSL/0.9.6b configured -- resuming
normal operations

all looks good, however a peculiar thing occurs. all of my non-ssl sites,
including the root, fail to work, and i receive a 'page cant be
displayed'. the error log for the server and the particular virtual host
do not display anything at all. i didnt recompile my apache source with
any php specific enable options, so i am not certain if this could be the
culprit.

help is very appreciated :)

-c