dd if=/dev/hda

when i was working at my last job, i saw a guy doing something of a
nightly "backup" on his system by doing

  dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc

or something along those lines. i am not certain if there were any other
flags being used or not. regardless, i remember someone in the unix group
freaking out that it was being done.
what are the risks of such an action? the guy doing it claimed he was well
safe since the two disks being "mirrored" were identical, same brand, same
model, etc... the guy complaining, complained with facts that were frankly
way past my understanding. can someone comment on the why's not to do
this? or why its okay.

thanks -c