Re: Korn Shell...any ideas?

Tim Grossner wrote:
> 1: is there another .file I can control Korn with?

I believe login ksh sessions run '.profile' or '.login' first.
Every ksh spawned will run .kshrc, whether a login one or not.
Which is why mucking with your path in a .kshrc is probably a bad idea.

> 2: is there a way if question 1 is answered to have it execute "bash" upon
> my login.

as the last line of your .login or .profile, put the following:

  exec $HOME/bin/bash --login

bash will then run your '.bash_profile', so you will have to rebuild
your PATH, MANPATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, EDITOR, etc. there. Put the stuff that
was in your .kshrc also in your .bashrc for per-shell execution startup
code.

Lastly, reread the man pages for ksh and bash. There should be sections
explaining behaviour when started from a login as compared to just starting
up a new shell (like when a script is run).

Also remember that cron jobs are total hacks and don't get the same
startup execution that login sessions get.

Mike808/
--
perl -le "$_='7284254074:0930970:H4012816';tr[0->][ BOPEN!SMUT];print"