Re: Dialup authentication

Jeff Licquia wrote:
> On most distributions, pppd is compiled with PAM support.  The common
> strategy is, therefore, to use PAM to get LDAP support.

PAM rocks. I just wish the documentation were better. I remember about two
years ago trying to get PAM NT/SMB authentication running and it was a
rather convoluted process.

Once configured, it was *great*. Most things used by users in /etc/services
are PAM-aware by now - login, httpd (apache), Samba, etc. and it's a great
way to distribute security uniformly and universally while still tailoring
things per-service.

It does for web-based applications what AuthHandlers do in Apache - move
it outside the scope of your application. So that your application
doesn't have to re-invent the wheel and maybe not get it 'right'.

Mike808/
--
perl -le "$_='7284254074:0930970:H4012816';tr[0->][ BOPEN!SMUT];print"