[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Console lockout
On Fri, 2002-07-12 at 08:13, Blunier, Mark wrote:
> > USB keyboards rock, by the way. I highly recommend them. I use very
> > few round-plug keyboards any more.
> Why do you like them better?
- Hotplug. Technically, you aren't supposed to hotplug regular
keyboards (you can damage the mobo), and some systems turn off the
keyboard controller if a keyboard isn't present at boot time. With USB,
you have none of those issues. This is especially nice for servers,
which don't need a keyboard all the time.
- USB hubs. You don't (necessarily) have to reach back behind your box
to plug in a keyboard. Also, many USB keyboards have passive hubs built
into them, so you can plug your USB mouse into your keyboard (just like
old Apple Desktop Bus). If you have a laptop, you can plug all your USB
devices into a hub for your home setup, and "dock" your laptop with one
- Portability. I can take my current favorite keyboard and use it on a
Mac, Itanium, Sparc, etc. when I need to.
- You don't run into the problem of plugging the keyboard into the
mouse port or vice versa; there's only one type of port which takes
- No delicate pins to bend.
To unsubscribe, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org with
"unsubscribe luci-discuss" in the body.