Re: wireless cards ?

On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 11:02:40AM -0500, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 10:41:10AM -0500, Ron Crim wrote:
> > Does anyone have a recommendation of a wireless card to use (installs and
> > configures easily)?
>
> Orinoco.  The Gold cards do 128-bit WEP.  The Silver cards only do
> 64/40-bit WEP.  Since WEP is a joke, if you don't think you'll need to
> connect to any networks that require 128-bit WEP, you can save a few
> bucks and go with a Silver card.

I'll second this - I'm using an Orinco as my connection to my ISP.  It
works perfectly, out of the box with the distribs I tried it with (slack,
suse, and redhat).  It's in a PCI adaptor.  It's hard to find a PCI
wireless card, or was when I was looking.  I had a YDI card in an ISA
adaptor before.  That YDI card was the biggest piece of crap I've ever
used, and the drivers were terrible.  It'd send maybe one minute worth
of http communication before needing to be reset.  Don't even get me
started on YDI's tech support "skills" either, OMG.  I sent a message to
their tech support, and they put my address on their bulk mail list!
I requested removal *twice* to no avail, though they now get a
"550 I will never use YDI products again" message from all mail servers
that I've got admin rights on. :)

Anyway, don't use YDI, but safely consider anything Lucent-based.

--Danny