tar 'n rmt

So, I've given up on dump and started using tar to create backups on
a central backup server (which needs more disk space someday when we
have money to spend on it, Steve:)).  Anyway, I back stuff up like
	tar czf backup@macbak:/backup/linux/dev/dev.tar.gz -X /etc/bak_exclude /
and everything's dandy.  Everything but the fact that the files aren't
zeroed when a new backup's created.  When I run the command again, the
file size never drops back down to 0 - it stays at the previous file's
size from the last run.  My concern here is that I'm getting garbage data
left at the end of my file if the archive is smaller than it was the
last time it was run.

So, does anyone know if that's actually what happens when I use rsh as
my remote shell (inside of a network where all peers are trusted)?  Would
the use of ssh as the shell change this somehow?  Is this just a fluke
with my setup and therefore not debuggable with this limited information?
:)  Is this just an rmt/tar compilation thing?

Thanks.
--Danny