ttl in bind 9.x

I just noticed today that I'm more a creature of habit than I had thought.
I've made some serious changes to a zone file for a customer and decreased
the TTL to a low number to hopefully expedite the propogation of the info
across nameservers. However, I noticed that with BIND 9.x I placed a TTL
statement at the top of my db records...

$TTL 86400
@       IN      SOA     ns1.lunarhosting.net. dns-admin.lunarhosting.net.
                                2002091702      ; Serial
                                10800           ; Refresh
                                3600            ; Retry
                                604800          ; Expire
;                                86400 )         ; TTL
                                400 )   	; TTL

I am by far, no dig master, but I believe dig for this domain is showing
that the TTL is 86400. Can anyone give me an ack saying that the $TTL is
actually taking precedence over the setting in the SOA?

Thanks -c