Re: your mail

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 03:50:11PM -0500, Joe Tosetti wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a Compaq Presario 715US laptop with Red Hat 7.2.

Why in the world would you want to install a version of Red Hat that
is not current?

> I found an article that said there is a problem with the athlon
> optimization of Red Hat, and booting with the option noathlon solves the
> problem.

I'm sure it did, with the *ancient* kernel that shipped with Red Hat
7.2.  Upgrading to an errata kernel would solve the problem nicely as
well.

> I'm fairly new to Linux and I'm not sure how to add this to
> the grub.conf.  Can any one help?

I'm going to play BOFH here.  I won't tell you how to "fix" a problem
that you shouldn't be having.  Go download Red Hat 7.3 and upgrade (or
reinstall).

    ftp://ftp.luci.org/pub/redhat/linux/7.3/en/iso/i386/

Or at the *very* least update your system.  You don't want an
un-patched Red Hat 7.2 system on the Internet.  (For that matter, you
don't want an un-patched Red Hat 7.3 system or anything else
un-patched on the Internet.)

    ftp://ftp.luci.org/pub/redhat/linux/updates/