Re: using current kernel config to compile new kernel from src

On Tue, 2002-09-24 at 20:04, Charles Menzes wrote:
> all,
> i'm curious to know if this is a good plan of attack when it comes to
> upgrading to a non-redhat kernel, using my current kernel's config.
> i'm currently running 2.4.9-34, which I believe is the most current kernel
> for RH7.2.
> i'd like to upgrade to the latest stable, meaning 2.4.19 from kernel.org.
> i've compiled my 2.4.9 kernel, so a .config exists.
> can i just copy this into my new kernel tree created when i untarred the
> src from kernel.org, and then run through the standard routine of
> compiling?

Yes.  Copy the .config to the right place, and then run "make
oldconfig".  That will skip all the already-answered questions and only
ask you the questions added between 2.4.9 and 2.4.19.

(Be sure you run "make oldconfig" before running "make [menu,x]config"
if you're going to tweak your settings; you're less likely to be
surprised that way.)

I think the config I'm currently using for my kernel was first generated
during the 2.2.x series and updated in this way for all future kernels,
so it's very safe.