Re: Apt questions

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 02:22:15PM -0500, Christopher Rector wrote:
> Now the question is, can APT be used on a RH 7.1 box?

Sure.  Just grab the latest source rpm and run "rpm --rebuild" on it.

If you want to get really fancy, install the source rpm with "rpm
-ivh", then edit /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/apt*.spec and change the
"Version" line to 0 or 0.7.1 or something similar.  That way when you
"apt-get dist-upgrade" later, the current version of apt will get
installed properly.  When you've done that, build the rpm with "rpm
-ba /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/apt*.spec".  The new binary rpm will be
located in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/ when it is done.

> I see in the sources.list file that there are sources for 7.1 but I
> can't find a version of APT that is specific to RH 7.1. or can I use the
> latest version that I'm using on my 7.3 box and just change the
> sources.list to reflect the 7.1 repository?

Yes, although if you are using ftp.(silug|luci).org, it won't quite
work right...  I think we have updates, but not the whole tree.  (I'm
debating whether adding them back is a good idea or not, now that we
have the disk space.)

> I'm trying to be very careful with this specific machine, it's a
> production machine and I don't want to blow anything up.

I'm using apt on all my systems and the majority of my clients'
systems.  If anything blows up, it won't be because of apt.  :-)

BTW, if that is a production machine, I'd suggest upgrading to 7.2 at
the very least, and preferably 7.3.  That way you'll get ext3...