Re: majordomo list bouncing mail with word "subscribe" in it

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 08:21:19AM -0700, Robert Threet wrote:
> My Majordomo list is bouncing mail with word "subscribe" in it.  I
> can understand if it is sent to Majordomo, but this is sent to the
> list which shouldn't be interpreting commands (right?).  Is this a
> config error that anyone is aware of?

Nope.  Lusers send majordomo commands to the list all the time.  It's
really annoying when those actually show up on the list, so majordomo
has a setting to moderate those messages.

> Testing...
>
> subscribe

And I received this:

  The request requires your confirmation for the following reason(s):

    GLOBAL ADMIN BODY: /\bsubscribe\b/i matched "subscribe" at line 1
    GLOBAL ADMIN BODY: /^\s*config\b/i matched "config" at line 4
    GLOBAL ADMIN BODY: /\bsubscribe\b/i matched "subscribe" at line 8

At least on majordomo2, it's fairly trivial to change those regular
expressions.  (I don't recall the setting off the top of my head
though.)  Personally, ever time I think about changing the
/\bsubscribe\b/i to /^subscribe\b/i, I get a mail to one of the lists
that says something like "I want to [un]subscribe [from/]to this
list".  Those things drive me nuts, especially given that *every* mail
has instructions on unsubscribing, and the web site has very clear
instructions for subscribing (and possibly unsubscribing, I don't
remember).