Re: RH 8 RAID 1 question

I'm confused, why is RAID on the root partition bad?  I know this will
cause minions to rise against me, but all of my M$ boxen at work (not
by my choice) are fully RAID 5, no separate partition for the root
that isn't RAID.

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 03:17:15PM -0500, Damacus wrote:
> I don't know whether that's required or not... but having the root partition on a RAID setup is a bad, bad thing, in my book.

> On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 01:10:00PM -0700, Robert Threet wrote:
> > Has anyone ever tried to use the Red Hat GUI to create software RAID
> > 1?  I use Compaq hardware RAID a lot.  I've used software mirroring
> > on Novell.  I understand the concepts, but I can't seem to figure out
> > how Red Hat is doing it.  All of the docs I've found are for the
> > command line.
> >
> > I can create a RAID partition and mirror it, but I can't seem to do
> > much else with it.  The installer insists I create a regular
> > partition for / etc., before proceeding.  These don't seem to be
> > mirrored.

> --
> --Damacus Porteng: damacus@munich.com & damacus@bastion.yi.org
> --Webpage: http://bastion.yi.org/~damacus/ (PGP on site)
> --IRC: net=irc.galaxynet.org nick=damacus chan=#cronus
> --Me: PHP Web Developer, Student, Computer/Linux Geek.
>
> --Car: 2002 Black Saturn SL2 (5spd) (1K mi.)  (stock)
> --Car: 1993 Emerald Green Ford Taurus SHO (5spd) (114K mi.)
> --Name: Sheeva -- 'Charming' (Iranian) or 'Good, Peace' (Irish)
> --========== Nook's SFCs, SHOShop Y-Pipe w/ HiFlow cats
> --========== SHOShop T304 catback, PPlus Reinf. Mtr Mnts

Benjamin Story

() Join the ASCII ribbon campaign against HTML email and Microsoft-specific
/\ attachments. If I wanted to read HTML, I would have visited your website!
Support open standards.