Red Hat 8.0 swap and memory

I created a RH8 server on a Compaq server with a Smart SCSI Array
(RAID 5 , five 18GB drives) and 1 GB of RAM and 2GB of swap.  After
400MB of RAM and 0 swap.  While I'm glad it was not using any swap,
why would it be using 400MB of RAM?!  Is this because of the really
large swap or the really large hard drive?