Re: Progeny new graphical installer

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 20:11, Gary wrote:
> Seems like Progeny has just released a new installer for Debian.

[...]

> Jeff, have you tried this, and how does it work?

Heh.  Is this an invitation to brag? :-)

A good portion of PGI's first stage and almost all of the second stage
are my code.  More recently, I've been involved in testing and doing
last-minute fixes.  One of my coworkers is now PGI's main caretaker, but
I still am responsible for some important parts of it.

How does it work?  It's a completely independent installer; it doesn't
rely on boot-floppies (the standard Debian installer).  The Debian
package is actually an installer toolkit which lets you create a custom
stage 2 (that's the part past partitioning, installing the base system,
and installing the boot loader).  You can create installer-only images
with no packages, or complete sets with source, or something in between.

The second stage we usually use runs the configlets and gnome-tasksel.
The configlets configure the system, and gnome-tasksel installs Debian
tasks (collections of packages that do something interesting).

If you like PGI, you may also like discover.  It's a hardware detection
library, similar to kudzu and company.  We just did version 2; this
version uses XML for the hardware databases, can download updated
hardware info online, can store more information about the hardware than
just kernel module info (like, say, "you need sane 1.03 or better for
this scanner"), and can be ported to multiple operating systems.