Re: LVM management question

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 08:51:34AM -0800, Robert Threet wrote:
> I tried lvextend -L+1G /dev/Volume02/LogVol00 which reported that
> only "1 physical extent left" or something.  This is my /usr BTW.
> Next I created a LVM partition with fdisk.  Then did a pvcreate, then
> added this to the logical volume, then repeated "lvextend -L+1G
> /dev/Volume02/LogVol00" whiched reported success.  df reports no
> change?!

In other words, you've extended the logical volume, but the filesytem
hasn't changed.

If you add a new disk, the whole procedure involves running fdisk
(optional), pvcreate, vgextend, lvextend, and resize2fs.  The last two
are the tricky parts though.  Luckily, e2fsadm will handle those for
you.

> Okay, I'll try it your way now...

It's too late for that, now that you've extended the logical volume
manually.

> Bummer.  my / has only 427M.  Is that the largest chunk I can work
> with?  I'll be trying it again!

I'd suggest slowing down a little and making sure you understand what
you are doing.  Just because this is all much easier with LVM doesn't
make it any less dangerous.  You can screw up a filesystem and lose
data if you aren't careful.

If I were you, at this point I think I would make a good backup, then
add another disk, copy your /usr over to it temporarily, remove the
logical volume that's giving you grief, recreate it with lvcreate,
make a filesystem on it with mke2fs -j, and copy /usr back to it.

Next time you want to resize a filesystem, *start* with e2fsadm.  :-)