did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA

I'm a little confused as to why I am seeing the following in my maillog.
I'm seeing this on redhat rpm sendmail packages 8.11.6. I have my local
net configured in access.db as RELAY. The message is being logged every 10
minutes, which conincides with a small perl script I am running to check
on whether certain ports are listening. Maybe my perl syntax is incorrect?
A quick google makes it sound like this is seen when the server itself is
either blocking the conversation or the remote side is attaching and then
just dropping the connection. Since I'm able to send other mail, it seems
to really point to the script. Any ideas or suggestions on how to
confirm/correct this?

Mail log entry:
Dec 16 09:30:01 name1 sendmail[3832]: NOQUEUE: test1.lunarhosting.lab
[10.12.71.10] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to
MTA

Perl Script:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;
use IO::Socket;
use Sys::Hostname;
use Mail::Mailer;
use POSIX qw(strftime);

my %services = (
                 smtpd    => '25',
                 named    => '53',
                 httpd    => '80',
               );

## set up values for socket
my $proto = 'tcp';
my $false = 0;
my $hostname = hostname();
my $host = gethostbyname("$hostname");
my $ip = inet_ntoa("$host");

for my $daemon(keys %services) {
  my $disco = '0';
  my $checkport = IO::Socket::INET->new(
    PeerAddr => "$ip",
    PeerPort => "$services{$daemon}",
    Proto    => "$proto",
    Timeout  => '0',
  ) or $disco = "1";

  if ($disco) {
    &notify("$daemon");
  }
  close $checkport if (!$disco);
}
sub notify {
  my $daemon = shift;
  my $to = 'foo@lunarmedia.lab';
  my $from = 'bar@lunarmedia.lab';
  my $subject = "$time - $hostname not listening on
$services{$daemon}:$daemon";
  my $mailer = Mail::Mailer->new();

  $mailer->open({
                        To      => "$to",