Re: X Config Problems w/ RH 8.0 and GeForce4

> I had a 1024x768 resolution at 24bits with the nv driver. I downloaded
> and installed the NVIDIA drivers, made the necessary changes to the X
> config file by hand and then restarted X.
..
> # Solution
> DisplaySize 270.933333333 203.2

Maybe it's something the nVidia driver writer people overlooked when
they messed with your kernel and X setup before you installed their
stuff.

Sorry to be so harsh, but because god-only-knows-what nVidia sprinkles
throughout your system, perhaps you should have contacted them for support.
Might have saved you 3 hours. Then again, maybe not. But you bought their
stuff anyway. It's really hard to feel sorry for your not being happy
with the consequences of your hardware choices.

From http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc/insp4100/X-setup.html
> ... Lacking an explicit DisplaySize, the server assumes that the resolution
> is 75 px/inch, leading to bizarre scalable fonts. If you specify the
> DisplaySize explicitly in the Monitor section (as shown in the sample
> XF86Config), the resolution will be reported correctly, and scalable fonts
> selected by point size will appear realistically and independent of the
> screen resolution.

My guess is that nVidia is tweaking some stuff that has to do with
font scaling and rendering, and because their stuff is NOT just in Xfree86,
there may be some weird kernel dependency on that parameter now, when
their didn't used to be. For Red Hat. For your version of Red Hat.
Or maybe not. Again, only nVidia knows the answer.

BTW, DisplaySize tells X the true size of your screen in millimeters.
Try using integers, too.

Mike808/