Re: BSDCon 2003 (fwd)

> > Could you imagine anything "cool" starting up in IL or IN? Would the
> > locals even accept it?
>
> NCSA Mosaic

Ah, yes. I'd forgotten about the NCSA. Of course, they're kinda like
white-collar pimps, so I don't know if they count 100%.  :-)

Explanation: not only do they not pay diddly (unless you're comparing them
to fast food jobs, or the ubiquitous residence hall cafeteria jobs that
everyone seems to have at college), but things like Mosaic were done
without the knowledge of management, who of course immediately turned
around & tried to take full credit when it became popular.

On the other hand, they did offer the predecessor to Apache for free
(right?), and didn't that free Mac FTP client -- fetch -- come from the
NSCA as well?

So I suppose there's good & bad. They definitely foster the "MicroSerf"
culture, but they've spawned some good stuff, too.

I have to admit, though, that I hate Champaign/Urbana with a passion --
everyone is so arrogant, and they don't have much to back that up with! I
mean, Christ, you'd think the place was heaven on earth the way some of
those people behave. East Central IL sucks, and that includes Danville &
Charleston/Mattoon, too. They've got the same climate of oppression that
most of the Chicago suburbs have, and I think that right there explains
another aspect of why "we're not California" -- not only does California
has a huge population base, but as a whole, they're not afraid to try new
things. None of this, "you'd better not rock the boat" b.s.

Springpatch may not be wonderful, but it beats the sh*t out of UIUC!  :-)