Re: test network DNS server w/o Internet access: Is it possible?

--- Jay Link <jlink@ilbbs.com> wrote:

> > DNS should still work without an Internet connection, root name
> servers,
> > etc.  I've set it up in such situations before.
>
> I agree with Jeff here.
>
> However, if all you're doing is copying data files from one machine
> another (if I understand you correctly), couldn't you just mount
> the drive
> from the old machine into the new, temporarily, and load the data
> that
> way? Then, both drives could be online at the same time, and the
> new
> machine could use its permanent address (i.e., the address of the
> old
> machine) and you wouldn't have to mess with fake DNS.

I wish.  No.  I have to install a HUGE Java app which uses the
iPlanet directory.  The program cannot be installed unless it
resolves itself as the REAL server.  This has to be in place before I
can import the LDIF.

=====
http://linux.usi.edu:8080/LUG  Web Log
http://linux.usi.edu/rat/  My Page