Re: Strange newgrp response on debian

On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 20:11, Marcelo Medici wrote:
> i have a friend that came to me with a question concerning an odd behavior
> he was seeing using tcsh from a handrolled .deb file
> when he issues 'newgrp staff' he receives a response to stdout that says
> 'Cannot execute tcsh: No such file or directory'. he has tcsh installed
> and when he executes 'newgrp - staff' all appears to turn out well.
> however, in the correct syntax 'newgrp staff' the error appears.
>
> any ideas on why he is seeing this?

I'll venture a few guesses:

 - tcsh doesn't set $SHELL correctly

 - tcsh isn't in the default system $PATH

 - "grep <username> /etc/passwd | awk -F: '{print $7}'" prints the
fully-qualified path to tcsh.

Is there a reason he's using tcsh from a hand-rolled deb?  The package
has been a part of Debian for a long time.
--
Jeff Licquia <jeff@licquia.org>