Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program, March 28 (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 19:14:53 -0800 (PST)
To: kara@luci.org
Subject: Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program, March 28

O'Reilly User Group Program
Newsletter
March 28, 2003

Please share this information with your members...

Highlights This Week:
Book News
-Shared Source CLI Essentials
-VBScript in a Nutshell, 2nd Edition
-LDAP System Administration
-Mac OS X Hacks
-ActionScript for Flash MX Pocket Reference
Upcoming Events
-MySQL Users Conference, San Jose, CA--April 10-12
-Java Freedom Software Symposium, Philadelphia, PA--Apr 11-13
Conference
-O'Reilly Mac OS X Conference Call for Participation
-New ETech Keynote: Google, Innovation, and the Web
-Registration is open for the 2003 O'Reilly Open Source Convention
-Put Up A O'Reilly Open Source Convention Banner,
Get A Free Book
Safari
-"Go On Safari" winner-- Andrew Shuttleworth, Tokyo PC Users Group
News
-Slideshow of NCMUG's Recent O'Reilly Fieldtrip
-What if SETI@home Gets Lucky?
-Setting Up an 802.11b Home Wireless Network
-Into the Future at San Diego Technical Books
-Building an Address Book with OpenLDAP
-Five Tips for .NET Programming in Perl
-Ten Security Checks for PHP, Part 1
-Space-Based Programming
-.NET Framework 1.1 Expands Support
-Creating Sherlock Channels
-Inside Samba: Windows Sharing for the Mac

Book News
Review books are available--email me for a copy.

***Please include the book order number on your requests.

Let me know if you need your books by a certain date.
Allow at least four weeks for shipping.
Send or email me copies of your newsletters and book reviews.

Don't forget, your members get 20% off any O'Reilly book they purchase
directly from O'Reilly. Just use code DSUG when ordering.
http://www.oreilly.com/

***Group purchases with better discounts are available***
Please let me know if you are interested.

Press releases are available on our press page:
http://press.oreilly.com/

***Shared Source CLI Essentials
Order Number: 351X
"Shared Source CLI Essentials" provides a road map for navigating the
Microsoft Shared Source CLI (Rotor) code. After introducing the CLI,
its core concepts, and implementation, the book covers the CLI type
system; component packaging and assemblies; JIT compilation; garbage
collection; and more. Written by members of the team that designed the
.NET Framework, this book is for anyone who wants to know what goes on
under the hood of the .NET runtime and the ECMA CLI.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/sscliess/

Chapter 1, "Introducing the CLI Component Model," is available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/sscliess/chapter/index.html

***VBScript in a Nutshell, 2nd Edition
Order Number: 4885
"VBScript in a Nutshell, 2nd Edition" has been completely updated for
VBScript 5.6, WSH 5.6, and ASP 3.0. A comprehensive reference to
VBScript's statements, keywords and objects, the new edition also
includes updated introductory chapters covering the significant changes
since the first edition was published. New chapters introduce the
Windows Script Component for creating binary COM components and the
Script Encoder. This book offers programmers and system administrators
the most complete, up-to-date, and easy-to-use language reference for
developing effective scripts.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/vbscriptian2/

Chapter 7, "Windows Script Host 5.6," is available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/vbscriptian2/chapter/index.html

***LDAP System Administration
Order Number: 4916
"LDAP System Administration" helps you quickly integrate a directory
server into essential network services such as mail, DNS, HTTP, and
SMB/CIFS, regardless of which LDAP version you use. After introducing
the workings of a directory service and the LDAP protocol, as well as
building and installing OpenLDAP (the open source directory server used
as the premise for examples), the book walks you through configuration
and access control; replication and referral; interoperation with
different LDAP servers; and much more.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/ldapsa/

Chapter 7, "Email and LDAP," is available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/ldapsa/chapter/index.html

*** Mac OS X Hacks
Order Number: 4605
"Mac OS X Hacks" pulls together the best tips, tricks, and tools from
Mac power users and Unix hackers. From the Unix side comes no-nonsense
solutions to Web, Mail, and FTP serving; security services, SSH, Perl,
and shell scripting; and more. From Mac users come customizations for
System Preferences, and GUI mods and tweaks; AppleScript, AppleTalk,
and equivalents; and general Macintosh-style tomfoolery. This book
offers a unique collection of real-world know-how that you can apply to
the challenges of working with Mac OS X and its Unix underpinnings.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mcosxhks/

Sample Hacks are available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mcosxhks/chapter/index.html

***ActionScript for Flash MX Pocket Reference
Order Number: 5148
"ActionScript for Flash MX Pocket Reference" summarizes ActionScript's
core objects, classes, properties, and methods. Also covered are
ActionScript's global properties, global functions, operators,
statements, keywords, and directives, as well as an excellent summary
of ActionScript syntax and best practices, covering datatypes,
variables, loops, conditionals, identifiers, event handling, and
object-oriented programming. This compact reference also addresses
common Flash elements and operations, including Movie Clips, graphics,
text, data transfers, and XML parsing.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/actscrptpr/

A sample excerpt on Variables is available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/actscrptpr/chapter/index.html

Upcoming Events
***MySQL Users Conference, San Jose, CA--April 10-12
Ruth Boyer and I will be at the MySQL Conference--be sure to visit our
booth (#113) if you're attending. In addition, check out MySQL and Ruby
presentations by author Paul DuBois ("MySQL Cookbook" and "Software
Portability with imake").

MySQL Users Conference & Expo
Doubletree Hotel
San Jose, CA
http://www.mysql.com/events/uc2003/

***Java Freedom Software Symposium, Philadelphia, PA--Apr 11-13
Author James Duncan Davidson ("Learning Cocoa with Objective-C") is a
featured speaker.

Sheraton Suites
Philadelphia Airport
4101 B Island Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19153
http://www.nofluffjuststuff.com/2003-04-philly/index.jsp

For more events, please see:
http://events.oreilly.com/

Conference News
***O'Reilly Mac OS X Conference Call for Participation
System administrators, developers, strategists, and technical staff are
invited to submit proposals to lead tutorial and conference sessions at
the second annual O'Reilly Mac OS X Conference. Suggested topics
include: Scripting Genius, Amazing Applications, Ingenious Hacks, and
SysAdmin Mac Style, to name a few.
http://conferences.oreilly.com/macosxcon/

The submission deadline for proposals is May 14, 2003
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/macosx2003/create/e_sess

***New ETech Keynote: Google, Innovation, and the Web
Craig Silverstein, Google's director of technology, will be giving a
keynote at the Emerging Technology Conference on how Google is building
a work culture that fosters the creation of new experiments and
innovations.
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/et2003/view/e_sess/4325

For more info on the O'Reilly Emerging Technology Conference:
http://conferences.oreilly.com/etcon/

To register, go to:
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/pub/w/22/register.html

***Registration is open for the 2003 O'Reilly Open Source Convention
--Portland, OR
Programmers, developers, strategists, technical staff, and other open
source votaries from around the world congregate for five days of
tutorials, conference sessions, and networking of the flesh-and-blood
variety. Recognizing that open source tools have moved squarely into
the mainstream, this year's convention focuses on "embracing and
extending proprietary software."

Early Bird Discount--
User Group members who register before May 23, 2003, get a double
discount. Use code DSUG when you register, and you'll get 20% off the
"Early Bird" price.

To register, go to:
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2003/create/ord_os03

O'Reilly Open Source Convention
Portland Marriott Downtown, Portland, OR
July 7-11, 2003
http://conferences.oreilly.com/oscon/

***Put Up an O'Reilly Open Source Convention Banner, Get A Free Book
Ready for the next conference banner promotion? Here it is:
We are looking for user groups to display our conference banners on
their web sites. If you send me the link to your user group site with
our O'Reilly Open Source Convention banner, I will send
you the O'Reilly book of your choice.

OSCON Conference Banners:
http://ug.oreilly.com/banners/oscon2003/

Safari News
***"Go On Safari" Tip of the Week Winner--Andrew Shuttleworth,
Tokyo PC Users Group
"Ever since Google has been around, I've thought that I no longer
needed reference books. 'A quick search is all I need to get the
answers I want,' I've thought. But having wasted some good time
searching for a crucial Excel formula or a 'how to' in MS Project, I've
realized there is very little freely available reference content on the
Web that comes close to the quality of material published by O'Reilly.
Subscribing to Safari Bookshelf means that I no longer have to rely on
search engines to get what I want from my software, as high quality
material on almost any computer topic I can think of is just a click
away. Thanks O'Reilly."

Your group can also participate in this introductory program just for
user group members. To "Go on Safari," any of your members who sign up
for our Safari 14-day free trial send comments on their experiences, or
tips and tricks for how they used Safari  (it only needs to be 2
sentences long, but it may be longer) to safari_talk@oreilly.com.

Every week someone will be chosen from the tips or comments submitted
to receive fun stuff from O'Reilly (T-shirts, book bags, or other
surprises). If a member of your user group is selected, your group
receives free gifts, too. Whatever the individual member receives, your
UG will get one, too, to give away at your next meeting, or use however
you see fit. Recipients--and their comments--will be announced in the
User Group Newsletter.

**Please use this special UG URL to sign up for the 14-day trial**
http://www.oreilly.com/safari/ug

For more information on Safari:
http://safari.oreilly.com/

News From O'Reilly & Beyond
---------------------
General News
---------------------
***Slideshow of NCMUG's Recent O'Reilly Fieldtrip
Thanks to Lorene Romero for putting together this great presentation.
The event was successful--Derrick Story had standing-room-only available
for his presentation on iLife.
http://homepage.mac.com/ncmug/iMovieTheater17.html

And you can read about it here (Thanks Chuck Joiner!):
http://www.mugcenter.com/

***What if SETI@home Gets Lucky?
Brian McConnell looks at the latest developments in SETI@home and
describes what will happen if a meaningful signal is found. Brian is
the author of "Beyond Contact."
http://www.openp2p.com/pub/a/p2p/2003/03/19/seti.html

Beyond Contact
Order Number: 0375
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/alien/

***Setting Up an 802.11b Home Wireless Network
There's lots of new WiFi equipment available for home or the small
office environment. Wei Meng Lee shows you how to set up, secure, and
enjoy today's 802.11b hardware for tangle-free networking.
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2003/03/21/home_wifi.html

***Into the Future at San Diego Technical Books
Imagine a technical bookstore where the bookcases are packed with the
latest computer, biotechnology, and engineering titles; a place where
customers have free Wi-Fi over a T1 line. You can experience it now at
San Diego Technical Books in San Diego, California. Check out this Team
O'Reilly Bookstore profile of one of America's most innovative
technical bookstores.
http://www.oreilly.com/news/sandiegotech.html

San Diego Technical Books:
http://www.booksmatter.com/

---------------------
Open Source
---------------------
***Building an Address Book with OpenLDAP
LDAP's most sensible example is, perhaps, managing contacts throughout
a company. There aren't many good examples of this, however. Dustin
Puryear (coordinator for the Baton Rouge Linux User Group) wants to
change that. In this article, he demonstrates how to build and populate
a company-wide LDAP address book.
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2003/03/27/ldap_ab.html

***Five Tips for .NET Programming in Perl
Don't get tripped up making your Perl SOAP applications work with .NET
services. Here are some of the most common traps for Perl developers,
enumerated by Randy J. Ray, coauthor of "Programming Web Services with
Perl."
http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2003/03/26/perlanddotnet.html

Programming Web Services with Perl
Order Number: 2068
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pwebserperl/

***Ten Security Checks for PHP, Part 1
The same global access that makes web apps useful means that you have
to keep on top of security. Though it's easy to create sites in PHP,
it's not immune to sloppy coding. Clancy Malcolm explains how to
recognize and fix five potential security holes with PHP in the first
of two articles.
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/php/2003/03/20/php_security.html

For more information on PHP see:
http://scripting.oreilly.com/

---------------------
Java
---------------------
***Space-Based Programming
Distributed applications promise better scalability and reliability,
but the standard models of building them on Remote Procedure Calls are
often difficult and slow. Sun and IBM are taking steps to adopt a
different approach: space-based programming. Bernhard Angerer explores
this idea and what it could mean for J2EE.
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2003/03/19/java_spaces.html

---------------------
.NET
---------------------
***.NET Framework 1.1 Expands Support
Chris Sells discusses how the .NET Framework version 1.1 provides
expanded namespace, security, and languages support for your .NET
projects, all in the March edition of MSDN magazine.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/03/03/WindowsForms/default.aspx

Chris is a coauthor of the upcoming "Mastering Visual Studio .NET."
Order Number: 3609
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mastvsnet/

---------------------
Mac
---------------------
***Creating Sherlock Channels
In this first of a two-part series, Harold Martin provides you with a
hands-on overview of Sherlock channel programming. Today's focus is on
setup and interface wiring. In part two you'll learn how to work the
code.
http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/developer/2003/03/25/sherlock_one.html

**Inside Samba: Windows Sharing for the Mac
Samba is one of the most successful open source projects around, and
has been ported to Linux, various BSDs, and Darwin/Mac OS X. Currently
it provides disk and print shares, acts as a WINS server, and performs
NT4 primary domain controller duties. Jason Deraleau takes you inside
Samba and shows you how to configure it on your Jaguar Macintosh.
http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/03/18/samba.html

Until next time--

Marsee