Re: PXE, Etherboot, and Frustration

> it is a 3C905 10/100 Mbps (integrated 3C916B chip).

Ahh. Yup. That's the one.
I found one post on the Linux Kernel mailing list in 11/2001 by Ian Chilton
looking for drivers. Never heard back from him on the list about a resolution.

I found a thread on the goofy chicken-sacrificing ritual you must go
through to get this sucker to work on the Dell Lattitude CDock (which
is what we hat *lots* (100s) of at a previous client, and why we wanted
support from our Linux vendor to resolve before choosing a distro vendor).

And that's running a MS OS!

I also recalled going to get drivers from Sclyd's site (per the recommendation
from the 3Com site for 3c905 drivers).

The good stuff is here:
http://www.scyld.com/network/updates.html

This is *THE* site you want to read carefully over:
http://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html

It looks like you need to be using the 3c59x driver.
The lastest version is here:

ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/test/3c59x.c

It looks like it was last touched December 2002, so if it doesn't
work, see if you can maybe send one of those beasts to Donald Becker
for him to play with. Folks tend to like to actually have the device
they're writing a driver for. Giving him one may make him interested
in solving the problem if you aren't or can't.

This will also solve this problem for all those Lattitude Docks out there
too.

From their site:
Supported boards - PCI boards
The supported models are the PCI EtherLink III 3c590 "Vortex" series, (3c590 and
3c595), the PCI EtherLink XL "Boomerang" series (3c900 and 3c905), the 3c905B
"Cyclone" series, and the 3c905C "Tornado" series.

Since your chip is the 3c916B, I'm guessing it's in the "Cyclone" series.

The 3Com sources are here:
http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/linuxdownload.htm

I also found some references to this card being supported in RH6.2.

This has some detail on the 3com cards in general.
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO-4.html#ss4.1

Mike808/