Re: Printing to Windows shared printer

On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 13:12, Marcelo Medici wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to configure my RH8 machine to print to a Windows share. I am
> using samba-2.2.7-4.8.0. I have LPD and CUPS both installed.

Don't know if this help comes too late, but:

 - Why do you have both CUPS and LPD installed?

 - Are you sure you're running the right lpadmin for the print system
you're using?  The fact that /etc/printcap seemed to be missing lots of
important things for lpd lends credence to the fact that you used the
CUPS lpadmin to set up the printer.

I would recommend you pick one print system or the other, and remove the
one you're not using.

As for printing from CUPS to a Windows/Samba printer: Make sure that
Samba is installed, and that /usr/share/cups/backends/smb exists.  Then
use lpadmin like this:

That should do it.  Of course, make sure you have a PPD for your printer
that works with CUPS first.
--
Jeff Licquia <jeff@licquia.org>