Re: ADMINISTRIVIA: Your input is needed.

> For whatever reason, we're starting to get a lot of subscribers from
> outside the area.  And I don't mean from St. Louis (since that's where
> I'm at, I'm not complaining about anyone from this area ;).  I'm
> talking about people from other continents.

Somebody has too much time on their hands, or they are clueless.   For
the people with too much time on their hands, There are plenty of big
forums people can read if they think they can't get enough Linux.  For
the clueless people, I don't mind answering a few bonehead questions
from people that attend the meetings, but if we get lots of these questions
I won't answer any of them; then our local people will suffer.  I find
that when the group starts getting big, I quit helping, as it takes too
much time to answer all the questions, then the more advanced will suffer.
The big groups also seem to get too many flamewars with people trying to
nitpick semantics of someone else's answers, rather than focusing on helping
out the person that had a question/problem.

> So, assuming these people are asking valid Linux questions (newbie or
> otherwise), do I

If they are newbie questions from out of area, 'a' sounds good.

>     a) tell them this is a semi-private list for people in the
>        immediate geographical area, and possibly point them to better
>        places to find support

If they are people that have helped the list or has been subscribed for a
long time I'd let it through if it was on topic.  If they were't from the
area and they weren't on topic, I'd bounce them off the list.

Mark
Any opinions expressed in this message are not necessarily those of the company.