Re: Insight Broadband

--- Bill Fehring <luci@billfehring.com> wrote:
> Chad,
>
> As far as I know, InsightBB's internet service is
> fairly consistent over
> the coverage area.  Getting this to work with linux
> though, is not a
> difficult thing to do at all but indeed there is a
> trick to it.
> I'm not sure what sort of networking background you
> have, but I will try
> to give you an "efficient" explanation.
>
> As far as the cablemodem goes, it's simply an
> Ethernet bridge connected
> to a smarter-than-average Layer 2 network.  When you
> have a device (ex:
> a computer with a NIC) plugged into it, it of course
> has a unique MAC
> address right? Well, this is what insight uses for
> security of some
> degree.  They have a DHCP server that knows which of
> these MAC addresses
> are authorized, and which are not.  For the ones
> that are authorized, a
> public IP is assigned, along with the relevant
> gateway.  For the
> unauthorized devices, a private, non-routeable IP in
> addition to a
> pseudo-gateway type thing.  When you try to go to
> any website using a
> private IP on insight's network, you are redirected
> invariably to
> http://sas.r31.insightbb.com , which is a webserver
> that takes your
> your 16-digit Insightbb.com account number and
> 12-digit registration
> code, and allows you to register the MAC address
> you're using.  They
> then tell you to reboot, because in windows, this
> will force a dhcp
> renew request, which will in turn result in
> receiving a public ip.
> More information is available on the "Device Change"
> process at
> http://help.insightbb.com/account/device_change.html
> .
>
> Please note though, that I have not tried this
> myself, as I am not an
> insight customer, and this theory of operation is
> something I just
> thought up after helping a few friends get their
> unix-like operating
> systems working with insight.  Presumably though,
> your plan of action is
> as follows:
>
> 1. Connect the Linux machine to the cablemodem.
> 2. Run `dhcpcd eth0` to get a private IP on
> insight's network. (this is
> assuming that eth0 is the NIC connected to the
> cablemodem.
> 3. Fire up a browser (the newest version of Firebird
> is really nice have
> you tried it? ;-P) and go to
> http://sas.r31.insightbb.com
> 4. Run around your house screaming until you find
> your account number
> and registration code.
> 5. Enter in this information and click "Submit"
> 6. On the next screen, click replace to replace your
> old device's mac
> [...]

The problems I was initially having was that
Insight was not accepting my registration info.
I had the right info, but upon entering it
and hitting next I would get a page not found
error from Insight.  I finally had do the
registration from a windows machine and then move
the connection (not the NIC too) to the Linux box
and I can connect.  I still have with
google.com and mail.yahoo.com that my previous
post talks about.

Thanks for the explanation though.  I say Insight
seems to not be Linux friendly since they want you
to install their software (which is only available
for Windoze and Mac), instead of allowing you
to register your account, give them your MAC
and they give you an IP.
-Chad