Re: LVM, ext3 and online resizing

On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 04:13:35PM -0500, Benjamin Story wrote:
> Recently I started deliving into LVM as my manager has finally
> allotted me a full fledged server to use Linux on in my company.  One
> of the capabilities that I've heard about with LVM is online
> resizing.  I've figured out how to resize the logical volume online,
> but is there a way to resize ext3 without unmounting the partition?

Theoretically.

    http://ext2resize.sourceforge.net/

That package includes ext2online, which e2fsadm knows to run if it is
available.

Honestly though, if you want online resizing, you'll probably be
happier with xfs, jfs, or reiserfs.  I'm pretty sure all of them
support online resizing.  (I know xfs requires the filesystem to be
mounted to resize.  I'm not 100% sure about jfs.  Install jfsutils and
check the extendfs man page.)