Re: Apt for RPM question, blocking certain rpms

Steve wrote:
> Assuming apt 0.5.x, put this in the RPM {} section in
> /etc/apt/apt.conf:
>     Hold { "^php$"; "^gd-devel$"; };
> You get the idea...

No I don't. Would you mind putting this on the list of stuff to talk about
either at a future meeting or here on the list?

I'm trying to get my head around this idea that the /etc/apt/preferences file
and the /etc/apt/apt.conf file are actually two different ways to do some of the
same things, and mix this in with the fact that apt is really just a Perl script
or uses Perl somehow, since the documentation for apt.conf smells *a lot* like
Perl code with all of what looks like "packages/namespaces", anonymous hashes,
and regular expressions.

Is one preferable to the other (pinning packages and versions in apt.conf vs
preferences)?

If they're both equivalent, which, IYHO, is headed for "deprecated" status?
Or is it an issue of dealing with repositories or not?

Mike/