Re: Apt for RPM question, blocking certain rpms

On 8 Oct 2003, Jeff Licquia wrote:

> Check the documentation section of the apt package.  On Debian, there's
> a file called "configure-index" in there that contains a description of
> every possible option you can pass to apt.conf.

On the rpm-ized version that I have this file is at:

/usr/share/doc/apt-0.5.5cnc6/examples/configure-index

unless it happens to be a machine that I have been using "--excludedocs",
of course. But, like the man pages, this is the original debian
documentation and does not include the options for the RPM section. The
problem isn't with apt, but with the documentation in the RPMized package.
I hate to be complaining about this, because the right response is "well
then erich, fix the documentation!". So, I'm not complaining, just
commenting.

I like the information on Pinning, but don't have it worked out yet. I can
see that it would be worthwhile if I was, for example, maintaining a
machine in which I would like the offical updates to come from one site
(ftp.silug.org/pub/apt/), but I like the audio-centric packages comming
from http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/apt, and the quick
updating of mozilla and blender rpms (for example) from http://apt.sw.be.

eks

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      email:erich(at)illinois.state.museum
                 http://illinois.state.museum/