Re: PCMag: Xandros and SuSE are top Linux distros -- MacOS X

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 14:24, mike808@users.sourceforge.net wrote:
> See the scorecard here:
> http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/4/0,3363,sz=1&i=46500,00.gif

I'm sorry, but they didn't give MacOS X enough credit when it came to
"commercial application support."  Maybe they were considering
"server"?  No, then XP would be 1 star.  More proof that Ziff-Davis
consistency leaves much to be desired.

So ignoring MacOS X, based on the criteria presented, it is fairly
accurate IMHO versus Linux distros.  SuSE Linux Professional is now the
leader in RPM-based, "consumer" distributions.

RHL, now Fedora, isn't going to score well.  Red Hat purposely does not
ship various 3rd party stuff, that is left for RHEL.  Hopefully the
Fedora "Third Party" repository will change that.

So, again, don't dispute the article, based on its focus.  Just like I
do not dispute some Microsoft sponsored studies (although Microsoft
intentionally weighs them, Ziff-Davis just has its own, more innocent
focus, when it comes to Linux).  Because if you don't take the strengths
of something into account, it's not going to do well.

I for one choose RHL/Fedora (as well as RHEL) for my reasons, and I'm
sure many people will disagree with them.  So I find such studies a
victim of criteria, but still valid.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org   http://thebs.org