Re: Upgrading from RH7.3 to FC1

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 09:03:03PM -0600, mike808@users.sourceforge.net wrote:
> I've got "the hook up" for using apt-get with the SILUG repositories on
> a RH7.3 box.
>
> What's the process for upgrading RH7.3 to RH9.0 or FC1?
>
> Is it as simple as switching to the new sources and then an 'apt-get
> update && apt-get dist-upgrade'?

Almost.

NOTE: I've only done this (RH 7.3 to FC 1) once, and that was on a
pretty minimal install (one of my test UML boxes).

1) Change /etc/apt/sources.list to this:

     rpm http://apt.kspei.com fedora/1/i386 os updates stable

   "os" and "updates" are FC1, "stable" is fedora.us.  Add other
   repositories as needed.  (See my previous posts on installing apt
   on FC1.)

2) apt-get update && apt-get install apt

3) Install Red Hat's gpg key.  (Some things are still signed with it
   instead of the Fedora key for some reason.)

   cd /etc/apt/gpg \
       && links -source \
           http://ftp.kspei.com/pub/redhat/linux/9/en/os/i386/RPM-GPG-KEY \
           > gpg-pubkey-db42a60e-37ea5438

   (The next time you run apt, it will import that and any other files
   that begin with gpg-pubkey- in /etc/apt/gpg.  See
   /usr/lib/apt/scripts/gpg-import.lua.)

   Be sure to grab the keys for any other repository you use
   (freshrpms, my "kspei" stuff, rpm.livna.org, etc.).

4) apt-get install kernel\#2.4.22-1.2129.nptl

   (Note: I didn't actually do this last time, so the next step just
   installed 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl, which I then had to upgrade, so I
   think this order will work better.)

5) apt-get dist-upgrade

It *should* work.  Note that upgrading RH9->FC1 had a minor issue with
some perl stuff moving around causing conflicts, but I didn't see
anything like that going from RH 7.3 to FC1 for whatever reason.