Re: Fedora Core == Linux?

Hi Bryan,

--On Saturday, December 20, 2003 03:31:17 PM -0600 "Bryan J. Smith"
<b.j.smith@ieee.org> wrote:

>> Hi Steve,
>> Well, Progeny is now picking up support for RH releases 7.2 - 9, but not
>> for anything with Fedora.

> <anal>Actually, Progeny is not supporting _any_ RHL _yet_.</anal>

Taken from their email..
now! to easily register your system(s) for Red Hat(R) Linux(R)
7.2, 7.3, and 8.0 software updates with your credit card or bank
transfer.

We have also updated the Frequently Asked Questions page
(http://www.progeny.com/products/transition/faq.html), with a
guide to using HTTP retrieval.

Thank you for your interest in Progeny Transition Service.

Sincerely,

Greg Duwe
Director of Sales
Progeny "
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As I said, they are now picking up support. EXACT dates below as you
indicated. A FULL 11 days away... give me a break.

> RHL 7.2, 7.3 and 8[.0] support will begin 1/1/2004.
> RHL 9 begins 5/1/2004.

> Fedora has not been announced because Red Hat is still supporting FC 1.
> FC 2 is planned for 4/2004, so expect FC 1 support to drop by summer's
> end.  Progeny cannot begin to plan for a release who's deprecation has
> not been determined yet.

Who said Progeny is going to support Fedora at all?

Are you going to bet your business on it?

> Fedora Legacy is _also_ supporting RHL 7.2, 7.3, 8[.0] after the year's
> end, and RHL 9 after 4/30/2004.  It will be interesting to see how long.

Agreed here.

>> If it is another group, then it would be worthwhile to stay with
>> Fedora.  It is this 6-8 month life cycle that is bothering me.  I
>> spend too much time setting up servers, only to have to mess with
>> them again during another Version.

> Then you might want to consider RHEL ES 3, as it will be supported for a
> guaranteed 5 years.  Right now you can get 2 years for $349/system.

Not for me personally, I would never pay that for a Linux OS. Not when
there is SUSE or Libranet around. SUSE offers everything for about $79 and
2 full years of support.  If a client pays for it, fine, no problem.

> There is no guarantee Progeny will support RHL 7.2-9 for that long any
> more than Progeny will support FC 1, etc...

On Progeny's survey, they asked how long would you keep your current
release, and this ranged, IIRC, from 6 months, to a yr, or more than a yr,
something like that. I did not see any mention of Progeny support for FC1,
although I have not researched it thoroughly.

--
Gary