Re: OT: Redirect Traffic in a Subnet

Well, if the MAC address isn't registered they give out a 10.x.x.x
address instead of the 12.x or whatever the real addresses are.  Then
since they know that anyone on the 10 network isn't registered they
either use a transparent proxy, or just redirect all outgoing port 80
traffic to their registration server.

Anyone have more details / actual examples?

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 07:58, bstory@family-net.net wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to figure out how cable companies and the like are able to hand out
> a DHCP address and then route all traffic to their registration page.  I'd like
> to do something similar on all of my company's "inactive" ports so we have
> better control over who's plugging in.  I know that there has got to be some
> sort of redirection, but I'm not sure if it's DNS or routing or a combination.
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Ben Story

Todd Davis (tdavis@msfw.com)
Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE #807101281603181)