Re: Another round of viruses - encrypted this time

mike808@users.sourceforge.net wrote:
[...]
>... except that Congress granted the
> Postmaster the specific right to inspect any mail.

Well, there you go.  Mail to "postmaster" goes to me, therefore I'm the
Postmaster and can inspect any mail.  I'm glad that we finally agree. ;)

>>Email is a postcard, not a phone call.  I'm the
>>postman whom you trust to not read your postcard except possibly to
>>verify the address of the recipient, or to count how many cards your
>>neighbor's getting from that guy in the Bahamas.
>

> It's not that I trust you to not read my postcard, it's that Congress forbids
> you to, unless you want to accept liability for its contents, legal or
> otherwise. Furthermore, it forbids you to do so without my knowledge as the
> recipient. And it's not a postcard - it's an *envelope*. The fact that it is
> trivial for you to open the envelope and look at the contents without my
> knowledge or a trace doesn't matter. The contents of the envelope are not your
> property -- unless you have a specific contract with recipients that otherwise
> grant you additional rights and privileges.

I wonder why a government entity like the USDA isn't aware of these
regulations?

http://www.usda.gov/da/pdsd/Security%20Guide/V1comput/Email.htm

"Sending e-mail is like sending a postcard through the mail. Just as the
mailman and others have an opportunity to read a postcard, network
eavesdroppers can read your e-mail as it passes through the Internet
from computer to computer. E-mail is transmitted over a public network
where you have no right to expect privacy. It is not like a telephone
call, where privacy rights are protected by law."

Anyway, I'm done guessing and speculating about legality and arguing
with someone else's speculations.  Off to search for the actual laws:

Reading over the page at
http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/cybercrime/1030_anal.html, it becomes
clear that the law distinguishes based on intent.  Obtaining information
from any computer system by an authorized user (aka me, the sysadmin) is
not a crime as long as any damage caused is unintentional.  If you
hax0red my mail server and got the same information, though, even if
your access was gained through my negligence, you're guilty of a
misdemeanor even if no "real" damage is caused.  This is in regards to
arbitrary data stored on a computing system.

So far I'm in the clear for reading and even altering any e-mail, so
long as it doesn't cause "substantial" financial problems (and I could
probably get away in that case, too, since I'm not a public provider).

Now, reading up on the DOJ's "search and seizure" manual
(http://www.cybercrime.gov/s&smanual2002.htm#_III_), which includes a
nice summary of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, I find that
I'm an electronic communications provider when I'm transmitting the
message - that applies until the message is read by the recipient.
However, since none of the computing facilities that I maintain are
available to the public (I have to be friends with the people who get an
account at my house, and not just anyone can be my friend - and at work
people have to work for us, and not just anyone can get a job here), I
do not ever classify as a remote computing service.

This is an important clarification, because, since my services are not
available "to the public", the contents of my servers (contents
*includes* the email) can be voluntarily disclosed by the provider (me)
to both government and non-government entities.  Here's a useful quote
with an example:

--
When considering whether a provider of RCS or ECS can disclose contents
or records, the first question agents must ask is whether the relevant

     Giving Andersen access to [UOP's] e-mail system is not equivalent
to providing e-mail to the public. Andersen was hired by UOP to do a
project and as such, was given access to UOP's e-mail system similar to
UOP employees. Andersen was not any member of the community at large,
but a hired contractor.

Id. at 1043. Because UOP did not provide services to the public, ECPA
did not prohibit disclosure of contents belonging to UOP's "subscribers."
--

I can voluntarily disclose information regarding my users to myself or
to anyone else so long as my needs or the needs of public safety or my

Hence, it's completely legal for me to know what's on my server at any
time, and I'm not liable for not telling anyone about it because my
disclosure of said information is *voluntary* unless it's subpoenaed.
BTW, the Patriot act changed the definition of electronic communications
so that I can also listen to your voice mail and voluntarily disclose
that.  Telephone conversations are not electronic conversations because
they contain human voice and are transmitted by sound waves.  They have
different laws.

An ISP has different restrictions, but primarily in that they can't go
disclosing the information without the law asking for it.  It's still
legal for them to read the email and anything else stored on their
computer.  Some courts are claiming that the owner of a computer used to
transmit communication is a "party to the communication", though, and
that could potentially be used to justify an ISP recording the
communication - because it only takes one party's consent.  There's also
a provider exemption - 18 U.S.C. § 2511(2)(a)(i) - which states that
essentially a sysadmin can intercept and disclose communications to
protect the provider's rights and/or property.  So, an ISP can record
everything that passes through as long as their primary intent is to
catch haX0rs.

The really scary part of the ECPA is that there's no remedy for
violation the law.  So, if the cops go to your ISP and read your email,
find out that you're gonna kill the mayor, and decide to prosecute -
that evidence is admissible in court even though it was obtained
unconstitutionally (AKA without a warrant/subpoena).  That's just evil.

If there are new laws that supersede what I read, please correct me.
However, I'm pretty sure that I'm right.

--Danny