Re: Oracle DBD and 9i on Redhat

> > Would you think that someone, say, like me, could install a RH9 (or which Fedora
> > do you want? FC1 or FC2T2?) and then get the Oracle9i download and install that?
>
> sure go for it, it's lots of fun, really ;)

I meant which one are *you* trying to do this on currently. You mentioned forces
beyond your control. Which one did they pick? Or you only require "one of the
above"? I ask because I may be stupid enough to attempt it this weekend.

> Maybe I didn't explain this clear enough for you: DUE TO OTHER CIRCUMSTANCES
> BEYOND MY CONTROL WE WILL USE FEDORA OR RH9

Then tell whomever these circumstances are that DUE TO OTHER CIRCUMSTANCES
BEYOND YOUR CONTROL ORACLE DOES NOT RUN ON FEDORA OR RH9. Those "circumstances" are:

1. ORACLE SAYS USING THEIR PRODUCT ON RH9 OR FC IS COMPLETELY UNSUPPORTED.
2. RH / Fedora EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY FITNESS OF PURPOSE.

And you clearly don't have any authority to speak on behalf of Oracle, nor
RH/Fedora.

Let them figure out which priority is more important, Oracle or RH9/FC1, and
sign off on the decision. I feel for you, since you're now in a position with
direct requirements conflict and no clear resolution process/authority. You've
been let down by your project lead/management. And that sucks. 'Cuz now you're
on a deathmarch project headed to the fabled city of boundless risks.

Will FC2 mature in time for Oracle?

Will Oracle patch any FC2-specific showstoppers?

Will the finger-pointing never end?

Tune in next week, as our hero tries to deliver his project on schedule...

If you tell me the specific OS (FC2T2?) and the URL (which specific version) of
Oracle9i you've got, I could be downloading and maybe installing this weekend.
Post some notes on a Kwiki page --
http://www.archlug.org/kwiki/InstallingOracle9iOnFedoraCore2

I'll post back there on my progress.

BTW, how many weeks are you overdue on this? /me ducks ;)

Mike/