Re: Oracle DBD and 9i on Redhat

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 06:16:38AM +0000, mike808@users.sourceforge.net wrote:
> I meant which one are *you* trying to do this on currently. You mentioned forces
> beyond your control. Which one did they pick? Or you only require "one of the
> above"? I ask because I may be stupid enough to attempt it this weekend.

ah, either, i've tried both, and had actually better luck with fedora than
rh9

> Then tell whomever these circumstances are that DUE TO OTHER CIRCUMSTANCES
> And you clearly don't have any authority to speak on behalf of Oracle, nor
> RH/Fedora.
>
> Let them figure out which priority is more important, Oracle or RH9/FC1, and
> sign off on the decision. I feel for you, since you're now in a position with
> direct requirements conflict and no clear resolution process/authority. You've
> been let down by your project lead/management. And that sucks. 'Cuz now you're
> on a deathmarch project headed to the fabled city of boundless risks.

nothing like a little boundless risk in the morning to get your blood flowing
right *smirk*, people aren't uncontrollable if you handle them with care,
when i say circumstances i'm refering to things that are prestanding like
contracts, regulations, and budgets, the budgets thing i have a bit of
wiggle room on (thus the consultant idea) but the others i'm rather stuck
with

> Will FC2 mature in time for Oracle?

hehe i was hoping to hold off on FC2 for a couple months and see the bugs
get ironed out

> Will Oracle patch any FC2-specific showstoppers?

Probably not till theres a RHEL equal, and even then it will be RHEL specific

> Will the finger-pointing never end?

rofl, not a chance

> Tune in next week, as our hero tries to deliver his project on schedule...

well that is one thing thats not going to kill me, there is no schedule for
this project it's just a nusance that needs to eventually get done

>If you tell me the specific OS (FC2T2?) and the URL (which specific version) of
> Oracle9i you've got, I could be downloading and maybe installing this weekend.
> Post some notes on a Kwiki page --
> http://www.archlug.org/kwiki/InstallingOracle9iOnFedoraCore2

well I would be curios to see the results on fc2
here is the url:
http://otn.oracle.com/software/products/oracle9i/index.html

hmmm they have a new version as of the 26th, something new to try =)
i'd been using 9.2.0.2 but methinks i'm going to give 9.2.0.4 a try today
If you do feel froggy and jump in I would really appreciate any input

> I'll post back there on my progress.
>
> BTW, how many weeks are you overdue on this? /me ducks ;)

got to love projects without deadlines *grin*, thanks again mike

Bob T. Kat