Re: Limiting which users have Internet Access

Also, squid can be configured to serve differently by user/IP/group. Take
a look at some of the options at freshmeat:

http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=squid&section=projects&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

eks

By the way, if you get either of my suggestions to work, I sure would like
you to present at a meeting!

On Tue, 4 May 2004, Glenn Tofte wrote:

> I am getting ready to deploy a Linux firewall/content filtering solution
> (IPCop w/ Dansguardian) but I have one final hurdle:  We have some users
> who are not allowed to have Internet access (the exception rather than
> the rule).
>
> OUR ENVIRONMENT:
> 70 Windows 2000/XP desktops
> Windows 2000 Servers w/ Active Directory
> Currently we are using M$ ISA for Internet accountability, which checks
> against Active Directory to see if the user is a member of the Internet
> Users Group before allowing access.
>
> WE HAVE TRIED:
> With IPCop I can block by IP address, but not by user.  This doesn't (by
> itself)help  since the computers are shared between
> Internet/Non-Internet users.
>
> One thought that I had was to give the non-Internet users a null gateway
> so they can access local resources, but not Internet resources.  We have
> been trying to use "netsh" to toggle the gateway settings on the network
> interfaces, but have not had much success.
>
> Does anyone have any other ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Glenn

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      email:erich(at)illinois.state.museum
                 http://illinois.state.museum/