Re: Tracking Down Intermittent Kernel Panics

Only an anectodote, but I have a server that was giving me problems a
while back. Every 30-40 days it would freeze up with some final records in
/var/log/messages about seek failures. I was afraid that the SCSI
controller or disk was going bad. It finally turned out that the UPS was
fading, and was not giving enough power sometimes. Switched that out, and
I'm good again.

eks

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, David wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a number of identical generic servers running Red Hat 7.3
> in a server farm.  All of these servers are dedicated to running
> the same application, which requires Red Hat 7.3.
>
> One server is experiencing a kernel panic at what appears to be
> random intervals.  At this point we feel the problem is hardware
> related. The other servers have never had this problem.  We have
> also tried Red Hat 9.0 on this machine in the past and it also
> experienced kernel panics.
>
> We have run serveral utilities to try to stress different components
> trying to get another kernel panic so we can possibly pinpoint
> the hardware problem.
>
> So far we have run things like memtest and bonnie.
>
> At this point we are at a loss as to how to track the problem
> down and fix it.
>
> Does anyone know of any other diagnostics or resources that would
> help trace the kernel panics back to the source?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      email:erich(at)illinois.state.museum
                 http://illinois.state.museum/