Frustrating WINS problem with samba

Going nuts with samba and netbios resolving names. I have set up a PPTP
tunnel into my home network to allow several friends and family to connect
to play games, share files, generally be part of my home network.. The
symptoms: all REMOTE computers can browse ALL computers on the LOCAL
network... All Local computers can browse ONLY the local network (cant see
who is connected). Can ping ANY computer from any computer. Can connect
using the \\compname\share method from any browser to any computer. can see
only the remote computers with "nbtstat -c" and only the local with
"nbtstat -n".

The samba files "wins.dat" contains all computers exactly as expected. The
"browse.dat" only contains the LOCAL computers (broadcast result?). ALL
computers are set up to use the wins server (same computer as PDC and Local
Master Browser). name resolve order is "wins host dns".

Does anyone have ANY idea why the local master browser is not populating the
browse.dat file from the wins server (itsself)? Shouldnt it do this? The log
files appear to indicate the it is querying the wins server (itsself).

If I manually enter the info from the wins.dat into the browse.dat the
computers appear in netneighborhood and are accessable (until samba removes
them).

Gonna be bald over this one.