Re: PHP and MySQL

On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 11:40:41AM -0500, Herbie wrote:
> Depends how up on Perl you are. Sounds weird I know but the languages are
> so similar, for some it helps to just have a reference guide of the
> differences. There's a stack of books that combine both PHP and MySQL,

That reminds me (yeah, I'm behind on the list.  Sue me), I was converting
some of my perl to php recently - which seems a bit like herecy at first.
However, since the programs were for a benchmarking site, I was interested
in performance.  No matter what I did, the PHP programs (which were mostly
array building/dereferencing/manipulating in tight loops, and some text
processing with regexps and substrings) were a *lot* faster than the perl,
and not just due to startup time.  Even my favorite regexp stuff was faster
in PHP than perl - using preg_match or just ereg_match.  I'm trying not to
admit it to myself, but PHP could well be a serious CLI scripting
contender.  Well, as soon as file access stops being so cumbersome, and
there's a bazillion CPAN-like modules out there. :)

Oh, and I've found the tutorials at php.net to be a good reference - it's
what I learned from (that, and lots of practice).

--Danny