Re: This was posted on Digg.com -- Linux Distribution blog/article

On Sun, 2005-12-11 at 10:49 -0600, Danny Sauer wrote:
> It does work well on my car's mp3 player, though, as the Gentoo folks
> have a good system for building a very stripped-down structure which I
> can then cramfs and copy to the flash card that the system boots from.
> I've found that procedure more cumbersome with other distros.  So,
> ports as implemented in Gentoo seem good for at least the embedded
> thing, which I think was already established. :)

Great!  An answer I can sink my teeth into.

Could you elaborate a bit on this, though?  What kinds of things did you
want stripped out?  And did you investigate whether you could strip them
out in a packaged distro, and it turned out to be too difficult?  If so,
what kinds of difficulties did you find?

I'm not looking for flame fodder, either.  I really want to know.  Any
detail you could provide would be appreciated.