Re: Old Debian install

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, Blunier, Mark wrote:

> > Note, that if you install an older version, but want to run  the latest
> > version, make sure that you update the system from one  version to the
> > next.  For instance, if you installed with Bo, upgrade from  Bo to Hamm,
> > Hamm to Slink, Slink to Potato, potato to woody, and woody to sarge.
> >
> I'd debate the above. I used a slink boot CD to install
> woody, thats the
> great thing about debian you never need to update your boot media ;)
>
> I find simply letting it install the boot image and base from CD (or
> floppies if we're old school) and then just allowing the net
> install of
> the rest, it will install the latest 'stable' version happily.

It may work, but its not guaranteed to work, as the older install
programs and  kernels may be compiled with older versions of libraries.
If it worked for you, great.  But if someone is unfamiliar with Debian,
I don't recommend mixing materials.

> Perhaps upgrading from versions older than slink are problematic?

Yes, as is going from the current stable to testing is now.  The changes
in a couple of libraries put things in a dependency loop that needs to
be forced to get things to upgrade.

Mark