Laptop cannot connect to itself

Last week my Fedora Core 5 laptop (the one that you've seen me use at
meetings) stopped being able to connect to the webserver I have running on
itself. I have used this for years for my web development, connecting via
a number of names and other methods (localhost, or the current ip address,
or by another name [rochester-jugg.pheasant.net] that I made up and route
via /etc/host to 127.0.0.1 or whatever the ip address may be).

The log files show that the server receives the request. If the page is
just static html, it will work. But most of my stuff has embedded php and
they don't work.

I can, however, be on another machine and connect to it just fine.
Everything works well if I'm remote.

As another clue, X11 doesn't seem to be able to work remotely from the
laptop either. Trying out that will look like this:

[erich@harpo ~]$ ssh -Y erich@192.168.1.162
Last login: Mon May  8 13:13:11 2006
[erich@froinleven ~]$ xterm

and then it hangs and no xterm comes up. I suppose that some update in FC5
from last week caused this. Anyone have ideas?

eks