Re: Sound Advice

Although I don't have any SB-AWE cards, the drivers for my ISA Creative
SB started throwing "kernel tainted" messages when I started using 2.6
kernels.  After some digging, it appears that the old drivers were
unsupported, causing the taint messages.  Sound would work, at least for
my limited audio needs under SuSE, but it seemed like random
applications started to hang or crash.  I think that I went back to a
2.4 kernel, which stopped the hanging and crashing.  Supported PCI cards
on other machines did not have the kernel tainted messages, and did not
have the stability problems encountered with the ISA SB board.   I
eventually stopped using the ISA slot machine - the disk got fried, and
there wasn't a compelling reason to revive a 500 MHz machine.

Check to see if your SB-AWE drivers are still supported on 2.6 kernels.
Sorry I can't help on recommending a cheap card with SPDIF.  Good luck!

Don