Re: kernel compilation

Hey everyone

I found a patch that solved the problem

Travis

On 6/17/06, Travis Davies <travisdavies@gmail.com > wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am new to compiling the kernel.
I am running ubuntu linux with kernel version 2.6.15-25-386
I am just trying to understand the process and wanting to remove the module version support because it is giving trouble with building and installing modules.

I have gone through make menuconfig, make clean, and then I start make bzimage
it starts fine but then stops with the following errors:

arch/i386/kernel/process.c: In function 'show_regs':
arch/i386/kernel/process.c:252: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of 'show_trace' differ in signedness
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:756: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
{standard input}:757: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
{standard input}:970: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
{standard input}:971: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
{standard input}:1052: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
{standard input}:1053: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
{standard input}:1139: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
{standard input}:1140: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
{standard input}:1194: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
{standard input}:1206: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
make[1]: *** [arch/i386/kernel/process.o] Error 1
make: *** [arch/i386/kernel] Error 2

I've tried googling the errors, but haven't really gotten a straight answer.
If you know of anything that could help i surely would appreciate it.

My other questing is this: I've read that I need to mv my old /lib/modules directory to another name so that I won't get dependancy errors during comilation of my new kernel. Will this effect the older kernel from accessing this modules because it was renamed?

Travis