initrd.img

Hi everyone,

Lately I have been wanting to learn about the linux Kernel and how it works and what not. So i downloaded a recent kernel, configured it (somewhat), did a make, make  modules, make modules_install, and make install.
Problem: i am running ubuntu Dapper Drake which uses grub. it requires initrd.img which was not installed to my /boot directory. I am having trouble finding good info on how to generate this file. Do any of you know of any good resources or could possibly explain how to generate it?

Thank you
Travis