minilogd running wild

I still haven't figured out exactly what minilogd does but I killed it
because it was running wild. I finely did a reboot of the OpenVZ/CentOS
install just to be safe. So much for my uptime :-(

Although while googling the subject I found this creative post about it.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=1511269#post1511269

Still I never found a post stating exactly what it is supposed to be doing
but I did find several posts from people having the same problem.

Can anyone tell me what it is and why it would might decide to run wild and
eat like 300 megs of memory?

Thanks,
John